Camp acquires property near Zoarville Station Bridge
The Camp Tuscazoar Foundation has purchased a 31.3 acre tract formerly owned by a long-time camp friend and benefactor, the late Charles Lebold. Charlie, who donated the Zoarville Station Bridge and access to it to the Foundation many years ago, passed away in 2020 at age 82.
This purchase was made possible through the cooperation and kindness of Charlie’s family, in particular his surviving sister Rachel Mutti.
This brings the total property owned and leased by the Foundation to 852.52 acres.
The map below shows the location of the newly added property, which sits along State Route 800 and includes the Zoarville Station Bridge (ZSB) site.
This purchase is a natural extension of the land already owned by the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation in the area and will be administered as a part of the camp. This tract hosts the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail and we will continue to support the development of this trail by the county and the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition.
The tract also contains the site of the Zoarville Station on the original line of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad, where for many years Boy Scouts attending Camp Tuscazoar would get off the train and hike up the hill to the camp entrance. The station was demolished in the mid-1930s when Dover Dam was constructed and the railroad was relocated.
Now we not only own the ZSB, we also own the site of the Zoarville Station itself!
The following photo from 1921 showing scouts at the station getting ready to hike to the camp, after placing their gear on the Hoover Company truck in the background.
Header photo courtesy of The Drone Guy