Maple Syrup Sugarmaker
Camp Tuscazoar, in Zoarville, Ohio, is seeking a foreperson to head our maple syrup operation for the 2021-2022 season.
We have very high-quality equipment in our sugarhouse that’s fuel-fired. We use a vacuum system to obtain the sap and a stainless-steel evaporator for the boiling. In addition, we’ve just purchased a reverse osmosis (RO) machine to assist with the cooking time.
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating our syrup. We do have a core group of volunteers to assist, but need a Foreperson to head the operation.
Essential Job Functions
- Install taps and lines at the proper time with the assistance of our own volunteers
- Produce products according to Camp Tuscazoar to ensure standards of specified flavor, quality, clarity, or color
- Ensure that food products are processed and prepared by following standards of cleanliness
- Determine mixing sequences, based on knowledge of temperature effects and of the solubility of specific ingredients
- Perform cooking of the sap (bottling will be handled off site)
Preferred Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years experience in food production, quality systems and standards, health/safety and compliance
- Knowledge of maple syrup production
- Techniques and equipment for producing maple products for consumption, including storage and handling techniques
Pay for this position could be in the form of an independent contractor, or some arrangement with the qualified person to exchange use of our equipment in lieu of part of the payment. This will be discussed with any serious inquiry. Lodging during the maple time may also be provided as part of the arrangement.
Inquiries and application should be sent to:
CAMP TUSCAZOAR FOUNDATION
PO BOX 308
ZOARVILLE, OH 44656