Bridge

Historical Photos

*Click on the images to see a larger version

Zoarville Station Bridge overview >

Phase 1 Photos – Removal of Non-Period Steel >


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is dover_400_72.gif
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Dover_closeup_300_72.gif

Images courtesy of the Ohio Historical Society.

This drawing from 1899 depicts Canal Dover (now Dover) when the Zoarville Station Bridge was part of the Factory Street (now Tuscarawas Street) bridge. At that time, it was one of three spans crossing the Tuscarawas River (see image below for close-up).  The Zoarville Station Bridge is the lower bridge. The entire bridge was removed in 1905 and one of the spans was moved to Zoarville Station. The fate of the other two spans is unknown.


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is zsbolsmall.jpg

Below is a larger image of the Zoarville Station Bridge alone.

This unique photograph shows our Zoarville Station Bridge (upper right corner) in its original position as a roadway bridge. As we continue this project our bridge’s history becomes ever clearer. A wonderful picture of a steam powered canal boat!

Thanks, Dover Historical Society for this picture and permission to use it.

The railroad that crosses the canal and Tuscarawas River in this photograph is not carried by our bridge. The ZSB was a roadway bridge. Though not easily seen in these pictures, careful inspection of the utility poles reveals that the roadway which crosses the river is mostly hidden behind the railway bridge and bed.


Photo courtesy of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society.

This photograph, probably dating from the late 1800s, also shows our Zoarville Station Bridge (in the upper right corner) in its original position as a roadway bridge. The photo was taken looking south from Front Street in Dover. 


Thanks, Dover Historical Society for this picture and permission to use it.

This photograph, taken between 1901 and 1905, can be found in a book on historical Dover published by Arcadia Books and written by Matt Lautzenheiser of the Dover Historical Society.  The photo shows a Tuscarawas Traction Company car after just having crossed the Zoarville Station Bridge in its original position.


Thanks to the Ohio Department of Transportation for permission to use this photo. 

This photo appeared in The Second Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory, Evaluation and Preservation Plan, published in 1990 by The Ohio Department of Transportation in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration. The photo appears to date from the early 1940’s, shortly before the bridge was abandoned. 


This photo, believed to be taken in 1921, shows scouts at the Zoarville Station before their hike into camp. Behind the scouts stands the Zoarville Station Bridge.


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is ZSBpicoldcropped.jpg

This photo, believed to be taken in 1925 from Pioneer Point, shows the Tuscarawas River, One Leg Creek, now called Conotton Creek, and the Zoarville Station Bridge before the bridge was abandoned (see image below for close-up). State Route 800 had not yet been constructed.


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is ZSB_1927_zoom_sm.jpg

This photo, believed to be taken in 1927 from the ridge above the Vickery Farm, shows the Vickery Farm, Old Zoarville, the Tuscarawas River, One Leg Creek, now called Conotton Creek, and the Zoarville Station Bridge before the bridge was abandoned (see image below for close-up).


Photos of the Zoarville Station Bridge taken in the 1990’s prior to reconstruction.