Zoarville Station Bridge at Camp Tuscazoar
Restoration and reconstruction is now complete! Visit our Photo Library to view the latest images. For project updates, visit our ZSB Update Page. And, be sure to visit The Makers of Hand-Forged Iron to learn more about the restoration of the bridge components. Also, in 2008 the American Council of Engineering Companies recognized this project with an Outstanding Achievement Award.
The Zoarville Station Bridge at Camp Tuscazoar is the only Fink Through-Truss bridge known to exist in the United States. The builders of this example, Smith, Latrobe and Co. of Baltimore, MD specialized in this type. Originally part of the three-span bridge over the Tuscarawas River in Dover, this span was moved to its present site over One Leg Creek, now called Conotton Creek, when the bridge was replaced in 1905. Acquired by the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation in 1996, this interesting architectural treasure has become the newest camp landmark. The bridge's restoration is complete and it has become a great hiking destination and teaches our campers about some of the rich local history of the area surrounding our camp.
Visit their sites using these links.
Ohio-Erie Canal Association
Ohio- Erie Canal Corridor Coalition
Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT)
Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources (ODNR)
Dover Historical Society
Ohio Historical Society
The National Park Service
Joint Solid Waste District
Plastic Lumber Company
US Army Corps of Engineers
Buckeye Trail Association
King Bridge Company
The historic Zoarville Station Bridge is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places. Designed by
Albert Fink, the
bridge was originally built in 1868 by
Smith, Latrobe & Co.
of Baltimore, Maryland (later known as the Baltimore Bridge Co.) then
was moved to its present location in 1905. The bridge spans the
Conotton Creek as part of the old road which led from Zoar to Zoarville. It
once was the way by road to Camp Tuscazoar, and is the last remaining bridge
of its type.
View a Smith, Latrobe & Co. pamphlet
Formerly owned by local resident Mr. Charles Lebold, who paid $50 for it
in 1969, the bridge will now be saved from gradual deterioration. After
acquiring the property under the bridge, the CTF purchased the bridge from
Mr. Lebold for the grand sum of one dollar...a very generous deal. With its
restoration now complete, the bridge carries the
Zoar Valley Trail,
the intrastate Ohio-to-Erie Trail
and Buckeye Trail, and the
interstate North Country Scenic
Trail across Conotton Creek. The bridge also gives the youth using the
camp access to the Ohio-Erie Canal Corridor and the towpath trail.
In 1985 the Ohio Historical Society recognized the significance of the Zoarville Station Bridge with a cover photo and story in its TIMELINE publication (Volume 2/ Number 1.)
Click on each image from the book to enlarge.
TIMELINE's contemporary photographs are by W. G. Keener and C. S. Duckworth except where noted, and are used with permission.
We thank Ohio Historical Society for permission to reprint these pages here.
Inside the TIMELINE was a full page featuring more photos, text outlining the bridge's history, and even a detail of the Phoenix columns - iron structural tubes of curved plates riveted to each other at flanges and fitted onto iron boxes at the joints or panel points - that make the design of this structure so significant.
Read Don’t Lower the River, Raise the Bridge by Frederic D. Schwarz from the Fall 1998 issue of Invention & Technology magazine.
Purchase Tom Winpenny’s book ‘Without Fitting, Filing, or Chipping: An Illustrated History of the Phoenix Bridge Company’.
For restoration updates from the project manager for the Zoarville Station Bridge please visit our Update Page.
Use the hyperlinks below to view technical drawings of Camp Tuscazoar's Zoarville Station Bridge.
ZSB Blueprint for elevation changes to be made to the bridge and the area on either side.
Connection Details - This drawing shows exploded views of bridge element connecting points.
Northeast Elevation and Overhead Plan - This drawing shows the Elevation and the Overhead plans.
Email any questions or comments about the ZSB Restoration Project to email@example.com.
The Ohio Historic Bridge Association maintains a website at
The Zoarville Station Bridges is shown in the
First Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory (see page 43)
This ODOT publication, ODOT Historic Bridge Riveting Guidance,
also features the ZSB.
For more information on the Phoenix Iron Works, visit the Library of Congress website.
(Click on the photo at right to enlarge)
Phase I: Removal of Non-Period Steel - Completed August, 1998
Phase II: Grubbing and Clearing - Completed August, 2000
Phase III: Bridge Removal - Completed Sept., 2000
Phase IV: Construction of Approaches - Complete
Phase V: Delivery of Bridge Components For Restoration - Complete
Phase VI: Restoration of Bridge Components - Complete
Phase VII: Ongoing Restoration of Bridge Components and Construction of Approaches - Complete
Phase VIII: Re-Assembly and Re-Opening