Gold Rush Competition - 2012
January 27-29, 2012
The Gold Rush will include:
- Trail-side stations requiring outdoor skills
- Saturday breakfast and dinner on Saturday; breakfast on Sunday
- Friday cracker-barrel and Saturday lunch for leaders
- Commemorative patch
This year's 2012 Gold Rush at Camp Tuscazoar once again requires the use of: SKILL + ENDURANCE + STRATEGY & LUCK to determine an overall winner for its competition.
Those familiar with last year's event can expect the same type of competition. The winner is not who finishes first, but rather who finishes with the fastest time. Nuggets are worth time, so the more nuggets you earn, the more your final time is reduced.
HINT: A wealth of outdoor knowledge will certainly assist you in obtaining a good time for your scorecard. Keep in mind that having the skill to work together might help you along just as well.
Registration begins at 8 a.m. Saturday.
Competition begins at 9 a.m.
and is open to any group that wants to join in.
Cost is $18 per participant. Camping fees are additional.
Make your reservations with Ranger Dana at 330-859-2288 ASAP
Gold Rush 2012 Sled Equipment List
- 1 Sled (of any type) - UPDATE: Due to the warmer January weather, sleds are no longer a requirement. Any type of transportation will work.
- HAT, COAT, BOOTS and GLOVES (EACH MEMBER WITH THE SLED SHOULD HAVE)
- Nugget Pouch
- Poles = 3- 5ft. & 2- 3ft.
- Rope = 5- 10-15ft. Lengths
- Wood & Matches or Camp Stove (for cooking lunch)
- Food & Utensils (for patrol and judges)
- Lunch: Maximum nugget potential requires spending a minimum of 30 minutes preparing a hot cooked meal of your choice and clean-up afterwards.
- Water (personal and patrol)
- Grill or Garbage Can Lid (to keep fires off bare ground)
- Tarp (approx. 9 x 12 ft.)
- Compass (at least one)
- Pencil & Paper
- Ax and/or Hatchet (with a sheath)
- Hand Saw
- Patrol First Aid Kit
- Plastic Bag (for the patrol score card)
- Watch (or method of keeping time)
Note: Not all items on this list may necessarily be used. However, if you have all of the items on the list you should be able to complete any required skill for a city.